Black Plaque Awards
To celebrate its 40th Anniversary in 2008, the Civic Society embarked on a project to place black plaques on buildings or sites of local historic interest, with the emphasis being on the building rather than any personality connected with it, though sometimes both are recognised.
The project aims were to place ‘plaques’ on buildings of historical interest and so better inform local residents and visitors of the rich historical legacy we have been fortunate to inherit. So far plaques have been erected on 10 buildings each plaque being round and approximately 15” in diameter (similar to the English Heritage Blue Plaques Scheme). They are black with white lettering.
Plaques can be found on the Norris Museum, the Old Police Station, the National Schools Building, Gateway House, the Independent Chapel, the Town Hall, the Free Church, the Old Grammar School, the Corn Exchange and The Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church. Photos of these buildings and their plaques are shown below. They are displayed for residents and visitors to see.
Where to Find the Plaques:


The Norris Museum
The Norris Museum was built in 1932-33 with 18th Century brick and medieval stone footings from the building here before.
Located on The Broadway, St Ives.

The Old Police Station
The Old Police Station was built in the 1840s with a Magistrates Court Room added in 1884.
Located on Priory Road, St Ives.

The Free Church
The Free Church dates from 1864 when the local congregation wanted the church to be in the heart of St Ives and was awarded a black plaque by the Civic Society in February 1971.
Located on Market Hill, St Ives.

Independent Chapel
Located on Free Church Passage, St Ives.

The National Schools Building
The National Schools Building was built as a Church of England school and schoolmaster’s house in 1844. It was converted into shops in 1890.
Located on Station Road, St Ives.

The Town Hall
The Town Hall (Stanley House) was built as a private house in 1850 and used as the Town Hall since 1924.
Located on Market Hill, St Ives.

The Corn Exchange
The Corn Exchange was built in 1864 as a Public Hall and Corn Market. The Architect was Robert Hutchinson.
Located on The Pavement, St Ives.

Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church
The Church of the Sacred Heart was built in Cambridge in 1843 and known as “Pugin’s Little Gem”. It was rebuilt in St Ives in 1902.
Located on Needingworth Road, St Ives.

Gateway House
Gateway House was built as a Society of Friends (Quaker) Meeting House in 1691 and used until 1945.
Located on Chapel Lane, St Ives.

The Old Grammar School
The Old Grammar School (Manchester House) was built in the 18th century as a private house. Used as the St Ives Grammar School from 1858 – 1939.
Located on Ramsey Road, St Ives.
Nominate a Black Plaque Building:
Would you like to nominate a building with an interesting historical story?
If so please contact chair@stivescivic.org.uk